UNSW Science is partnering with the School of Material Science and Engineering to provide science undergraduate students with the opportunity to undertake summer research internships in Taiwan within science fields related to their major.
You will receive 6 units of credit towards your science degree (SCIF2041 or SCIF3041) and undertake a 150-hour research internship at National Chaotung University or Tunghai University. You will be required to complete a number assessments during the internship. Depending on the particular internship experience you undertake, you may also have industry visits included in your program.
Late November 2018 - Mid February 2019 (exact dates negotiable depending on the internship)
- 150-hour, 8-week research internship
- Research project and academic supervision arranged for you
- Optional Chinese language course
- 6 UoC credit-bearing course SCIF2041 or SCIF3041 Science Research Internship
- $2000 scholarship for Australian citizens and permanent residents
- Experience the global nature of scientific research
- Gain critical research skills
- Develop international contacts in your research field of interest
Host University Information
Students may choose to apply for one of two univerisites, National Chaotung University or Tunghai University. A summary info pack on the univerisites can be found HERE. If you require further information, links can be found in the info pack - applicants are expected to do their own research into the universities and select the most appropriate option for their research and personal preferences.
Students who are studying majors in the School of BEES are only eligible to apply for Tungahi University.
Students completing majors in the Schools of BABS, SOMS, Chemistry, Maths and Statistics, and Physics may apply for either university.
There are no relevant projects for Psychology or Vision Science major students.
Students from all science programs are wlecome to apply. Students in non-advanced science programs are eligible for SCIF2041 credit; advanced science students are eligible for SCIF2041 or SCIF3041 credit. To apply, students are expected to:
- Have a credit WAM or higher
- Have room in their program for SCIF2041/3041 (which can count as a science elective or free elective)
- Be continuing their studies in term 1 of 2019
- Apply for a project related to their major of study
Students should read the host university info pack for a list of research areas offered by each university. Students must nominate one university, and 3 research areas offered by the university. A project and a supervisor will be negotiated for each student based on their research preference list.
As part of the application process, students will be asked to submit a copy of their academic transcript, a detailed CV and a 250-word expressoin of interest, outlining their motivation for taking part in the research internship program. Students will be selected based on their academic history, ability to undertake self-guided study, and contributions to the UNSW community.
Applications close 11:59pm, Friday 26th of October 2018