UNSW is a powerhouse for scientific learning and research. Each year, it is the university of choice for thousands of the brightest students from around the world who want to learn from award-winning academics, access cutting-edge facilities and connect with industry leaders.
The Faculty of Science consists of nine schools, and with more than 400 staff and 700 researchers on board, we have got science covered - from anatomy to zoology and everything in between. We focus on delivering the best balance of theory and practical work to equip you with the skills, knowledge and experience to fast-track your career.
Our approach is working, with UNSW consistently achieving a maximum five-star rating for graduate starting salary and positive graduate outcomes. Our reputation speaks for itself. UNSW consistently achieves a maximum five-star rating for graduate starting salary and positive graduate outcomes. At UNSW, we are responsive to the needs of industry, adaptive to change and take an innovative approach to teaching and learning. We are also proud to offer cross-discipline programs that recognise and foster individual interests and career goals.
Scientific research is core business at UNSW.
Our students enjoy access to state-of-the art technology and play an active role in ground-breaking research that contributes to a sustainable future for next generations.
Faculty Research Centres include:
- Australian Centre for Astrobiology (ACA)
- Centre for Ecosystem Science (CES)
- Centre for Marine Bioinnovation (CMSI)
- Centre for Quantum Computation and Telecommunications Technology (CQC2T)
- Centre for Sustainable Materials Research and Technology (SM@RT)
- Centre of Research Excellence in Brain Recovery (Moving Ahead CRE)
- Climate Change Research Centre (CCRC)
- Evolution and Ecology Research Centre (EERC)
- The Ramaciotti Centre for Genomics
We are also a key player in the National Health and Medical Research Council Program in Post-traumatic Mental Health and the Sydney Institute of Marine Science, based at Chowder Bay.
UNSW is a member of the Group of Eight (Go8) coalition of Australia’s leading research universities, and founding member of Universitas 21, which brings together leading research intensive universities from around the world.
Meet our Faculty of Science Executive team:
- Dean: Professor Emma Johnston
- Faculty Executive Director: Fiona Maclean
- Deputy Dean – Strategy: Professor Simon Kilcross
- Deputy Dean – Research: Professor Paul Munroe
- Deputy Dean – Education: Associate Professor Janelle Wheat
- Associate Dean – Research Training: Professor Lenny Vartanian
- Associate Dean – Enterprise: Professor Fiona Stapleton
- Associate Dean – International & Engagement: Associate Professor Isabelle Jalbert
- Associate Dean – International & Engagement: Associate Professor Dane McCamey
- Associate Dean – Academic Programs: Associate Professor Gavin Edwards
Heads of Schools
- School of Aviation: Professor Gabriel Lodewijks
- School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences (BABS): Professor Marcel Dinger
- School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences (BEES): Professor Alistair Poore
- School of Chemistry: Professor Scott Kable
- School of Mathematics & Statistics: Professor Bruce Henry
- School of Materials Science and Engineering: Professor Michael Ferry
- School of Optometry and Vision Science: Professor Lisa Keay
- School of Physics: Scientia Professor Sven Rogge
- School of Psychology: Professor Simon Killcross