FAQs - Future Students

  1. How do I apply for a degree at UNSW Science?

All applications for undergraduate study from Australian citizens, permanent residents and New Zealand citizens are processed by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

International students studying an Australian Year 12 qualification in Australia or overseas, the International Baccalaureate (IB) in Australia or overseas or the New Zealand Certificate of Educational Achievement (Level 3) apply via UAC International.

All other international applicants must apply through UNSW’s Apply Online portal or engage the services of a UNSW agent.

  1. What if I don’t think I’ll get the ATAR for UNSW Science?

    You may be eligible for adjustment factors or an alternative entry scheme.

    Our adjustment factor schemes may provide up to 10 adjustment factor points to assist with entry into our degrees. These include the UNSW Gateway entry, Educational Access Scheme (EAS), HSC plus and the Elite Athletes, Performers and Leaders Program.

    In particular, the UNSW Gateway program provides students from gateway identified schools entry into degrees with Guaranteed Entry scores of 90 or below if their ATAR result is within 10 points and the course is their highest eligible UAC preference. This ATAR adjustment is automatically applied by UAC. To find if your school is gateway identified visit

    We also have a variety of alternative entry schemes including the UNSW Prep Program(17-19 years old), University Preparation Program(20+ years old), Indigenous Admission Scheme and Indigenous Science & Engineering Pre-Program. 
  1. What subjects do I need to take in high school to prepare for a UNSW Science degree?

    We don’t have any prerequisites, but some courses and degrees assume that you will have completed certain subjects in the HSC. We call this assumed knowledge.

    Generally, we suggest taking Mathematics, Chemistry + another Science subject or Extension Maths before studying a science program at UNSW. It’s a good idea to look at the assumed knowledge in the degree programs you’re considering in our Undergraduate Guide or by using UNSW’s degree finder (
  1. What if I don’t have the assumed knowledge?

    We’d encourage you to consider taking one of our bridging courses. We currently offer bridging courses in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics: If you haven’t taken HSC 2-unit Mathematics we’d suggest accessing an external bridging course for example the TAFE Essential Maths for Higher Education Course:
  1. What sort of support is available to me?


    UNSW offers a variety of scholarships. You can search for these through our portal at There are also equity scholarships available for those who have experienced hardship or    disadvantage. These typically require an application through UAC. You can find out more under “Equity Scholarships” at UAC’s website.

    You may also be eligible for government support schemes such as Youth Allowance (under 34), Austudy (over 25), ABSTUDY (Indigenous).

    UNSW Student Support & Success can provide financial assistance and support, including non-repayable emergency grants, no-interest loans, Coles vouchers, opal cards, bookshop credit, laptop loans and financial literacy workshops. If you’re experiencing hardship, UNSW can help with the provision of short-term crisis accommodation and referrals for both on and off campus support. If you’re struggling and would like to speak to an advisor, visit


    In addition to the guidance from your lecturers and tutors UNSW offers a range of academic support to students enrolled in a degree with us. Academic support here can include services such as tutoring, academic skill training, writing workshops, our maths drop-in centre, English language enhancement and lots of online resources.

    UNSW Student Support & Success can help with the transition from high school to university. Friendly advisors can assist as you navigate unfamiliar university systems and processes and can work with you to develop skills to balance life with study, use your time effectively, and overcome stress and low-level anxiety. To find out more visit


    We’re conscious of the fact that there are many things that might affect your life and studies and want to make sure the support is there if you need it. UNSW offers free, private and confidential counselling for current students, support for students with disabilities, peer mentoring, support for LGBTIQA+ students, personalised assistance when necessary and much more.

    If you would like to know more details about any of the above information, please visit . If your question is about anything to do with admissions and enrolment, please contact the Future Students team on 1300 864 679 (1300 UNI NSW). If you have a specific question with regards to student equity, please email