Off the back of outstanding results in the Australian Research Council’s (ARC) 2018 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) analysis, UNSW Sydney has topped all Australian universities for research that makes a highly positive impact on everyday lives. UNSW also rates highly when it comes to engaging with end-users outside of academia to translate research into benefits for society.
The ARC today released its first national engagement and impact (EI) assessment of university research. The national assessment is incorporated into the ERA and shows how universities are translating their research into economic, social and environmental impacts, as well as industry and end-user engagement.
Highlights for Science include:
- Chemical Sciences obtained ratings of high for engagement and impact
- Mathematical Sciences were rated medium for engagement and impact
- Earth Sciences rated high for impact and medium for engagement
- Environmental Sciences obtained a rating of high for engagement and medium for impact
- Biological Sciences rated medium for engagement and impact
- Physical Sciences obtained medium for engagement and low rating for impact
- Veena Sahajwalla’s interdisciplinary research into green steel obtained a high impact rating