More info: www.unsw.edu.au/guaranteedentry
The Education program at UNSW prepares graduates to pursue a career in secondary school teaching in New South Wales, Australia and overseas.
The dual award of Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Education is a four-year program for intending secondary school teachers in mathematics or science.
- Earth and Environmental Science
Students combine studies in their approved teaching discipline, from the options below, with both theoretical and practical aspects of education. In the final two years of the program, you will develop skills in classroom competence and spend up to 80 days in supervised teaching in at least three different secondary school contexts.
Key classroom skills and practical opportunities
Our programs are practical and aim to prepare you for what you can expect when you graduate and get into the profession. We place great importance on:
- Enhancing your communication skills to ensure effective communication with your students
- The practice of reflective teaching
- Continual improvement of your professional knowledge and practice
- Effective unit and lesson planning, and assessment and reporting design
Students who meet the academic requirements may elect to undertake an Honours program in either their fourth or fifth year of study. The Honours program may be undertaken in either Education or your teaching discipline.
English language requirement
It is expected that all applicants will have a Higher School Certificate minimum Band 5 in Standard English, English as a Second Language or Advanced English, or if their schooling has been completed overseas, an overall IELTS score of 7.5, with a minimum of 8.0 in Speaking and Listening and a minimum of 7.0 in Reading and Writing, or the equivalent.
From 2016, prospective students will need to meet increased academic standards to be offered a place in a NSW accredited undergraduate teaching degree. These include:
- a minimum of three Band 5 HSC results, including one in English; or
- to complete bridging units equivalent to a minimum of three Band 5 HSC results, including English, as approved by BOSTES before entry; or
- to enter via an alternative pathway as advised by their university and approved by BOSTES.
Alternative entry recommendation
Anyone who does not meet the 2016 Band 5 English requirements for this dual degree can apply for the Bachelor of Science and then apply for the UNSW Master of Teaching.
- Bachelor Degree