Now taught online with the exception of the optional final exam!
The Mathematics Bridging Course aims to teach relevant topics of the HSC Mathematics Extension 1 subject, including:
- Revision of algebra
- Trigonometric identities and inverse trigonometric functions
- Combinatorics and Binomial Theorem
- Further calculus, including integration leading to inverse trigonometric functions
- Newton’s method
- Application of calculus to the physical world
Your performance in the Mathematics Bridging Course exam may mean you are properly prepared for entry directly into MATH1131: Mathematics 1A which is a compulsory course in all engineering, mathematics and many science-based degrees at UNSW.
The Mathematics Bridging Course will run before Term 1 (February) and Term 3 (September) each year.
To enter MATH1131 it is assumed that you have knowledge and understanding equivalent to:
- a result of 90 in HSC Mathematics (“2 unit” – not the pre- 2001 HSC Course Mathematics in Society or HSC General Mathematics), or
- a combined mark of over 100* in HSC Mathematics (“2 unit”) and HSC Mathematics Extension 1 (“3 unit”), or
- a satisfactory grade in the UNSW Mathematics Bridging Course
*A combined mark of over 115 is preferable
If you do not have the above assumed knowledge for entry to MATH1131 you are advised to first complete the one semester course MATH1011: General Mathematics 1B.
Who should study the Mathematics Bridging Course?
- Students with no prior knowledge of HSC Mathematics Extension 1, and who intend to pursue maths-related courses in the first-year of their degree (see above for assumed knowledge criteria for the MATH1131 course).
- To check if you need to study the Mathematics Bridging Course, please contact the Faculty that runs your degree.
For the second session of 2019, the online content will be made available from Monday July 15th onwards. There will be online help available and there will be face to face classes running from Monday 19th August - Friday 6th September. Optional final exam will be held on Monday 9th September.
Hours of Tuition: 40 hours (comprised of online lectures and tutorials).
Course Fees: $380
Registrations closed 5pm Friday 16th August
Registrations for summer 2020 will open in November
Cancellations and Refunds
Students can cancel their enrolment and request a refund up to 3 business days after the course commences. If registration occurs after the course commences, students can still request to cancel their enrolment within 3 business days of registering. To cancel your registration, please contact the UNSW Bridging Course team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
No Maths or General Maths in High School?
The “Mathematics Essentials for Higher Education, course no 29330”, offered in partnership by UNSW and TAFE Randwick is suitable for students who have no background in the HSC ‘2-Unit’ Mathematics and it will also be suitable for students who are having difficulty with Mathematics in their first year of their chosen University course. Find out more here
How to apply: Please visit TAFE NSW or phone 1300 360 601.
Further enquiries: Asha Swarup, Head Teacher, Mathematics and Science, Email: email@example.com, Phone: 9469 8564