Professor Peter Lovibond
Professor Peter Lovibond obtained his Ph.D. in Psychology (1980) and M.Sc. in Clinical Psychology (1985) from the University of New South Wales. He was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at Cambridge University (1980-1983) and Lecturer in the Department of Psychology at the University of Sydney (1983-1984) before moving back to the University of New South Wales, where he was Head of the School of Psychology from 2002-2008 and is currently Acting Dean of the UNSW Faculty of Science.
Peter teaches in the UNSW School of Psychology and his research focuses on human associative learning and expectancy theories of anxiety. He has also investigated the long term stability of depression, anxiety and stress.
In 1995 he published the DASS, a self-report measure of the negative emotional states of depression, anxiety and stress which is widely used by researchers and clinicians.
Professor Lovibond has served as Chair of the NSW Branch of the Australian Association for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (AACBT; 1990-1991), National President of the AACBT (1991-1992), and convenor of the 14th National AACBT Conference held in Sydney in 1991. He is a Fellow of the Australian Psychological Society and has held a number of positions within APS, including Chair of the Organising Committee for the 39th National Conference held in Sydney in 2004. He is also a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science, and is a Consulting Editor for the Journal of Abnormal Psychology and Learning and Behavior. He is a past member of the Social Economic and Behavioural Sciences panel of the Australian Research Council.
Professional affiliations and service positions
- Acting Dean, Faculty of Science, UNSW
- Fellow, Australian Psychological Society
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science
- Fellow, Academy of Social Sciences in Australia
- Member, Experimental Psychology Society
- Member, Australasian Association for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Consulting Editor, Journal of Abnormal Psychology
- Consulting Editor, Learning and Behavior
- Vice-President, Psychology Foundation of Australia
- Deputy Dean, Faculty of Science, UNSW 2009-2016
- Head, School of Psychology UNSW 2002-2008
- Member, ARC College of Experts 2009-2011
- Chair, Heads of Departments and Schools of Psychology Association 2003-2004