Microbiology and Immunology - Masters Degree (Research)
The Masters by Research degree programs within the School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences (BABS) provide the highest level of training in key areas of scientific research.
Students work on an independent research project encompassing the broader interests of one of the research teams within the School. In the early stages of the program, students receive close supervision and guidance in the management of their project. In the later stages, however, students are encouraged to exercise initiative, demonstrate originality and work independently.
Microbiology and Immunology at UNSW
UNSW brings together a wide range of internationally recognised research expertise to investigate the microbiological and immunological factors affecting a range of vital health and environmental issues. Environmental Microbiology in particular forms a top-level research grouping at UNSW that is not only the best in the country by any comparison, but one of the best worldwide. Similarly, BABS boasts a strong research presence in the field of infectious disease with a focus on molecular epidemiology and bacterial and viral pathogenisis, evolution and adaptation.
Current research areas at BABS include:
- Environmental microbial evolution and genomics
- Microbial processes for the monitoring and maintenance of ecosystem health
- Microbial ecology and toxicity of Antarctic and sub-Antarctic soils
- Bioprospecting for drug discovery and design
- Bacterial biofilms
- Immunogenetics and immunological bioinformatics
- Molecular evolution of bacterial pathogens
- Role of bacterial pathogens in gastrointestinal disease
- Mathematical models of infectious disease evolution
- Role of viruses in breast and prostate cancer
- Molecular virology with a focus on norovirus strains and Hepatitis C.
- Role of oral and intestinal bacteria in chronic inflammatory diseases and cancer
Finding a Supervisor
It is essential that you identify an appropriate academic supervisor in BABS and obtain their agreement prior to submitting an application. It is recommended that you peruse the School's current research projects available within BABS. This provides information on each project and the supervisor in charge of the project. Contact details for supervisors be found in the BABS Staff Directory.
- Masters Degree (Research)