What is the U&I Mentor Program?
This mentoring program is intended to support career development, connection and collaboration between a UNSW Science student and a representative from one of our industry partners. Students and Mentors will discuss study backgrounds, career goals, entering the workforce, working life and building professional networks.
What is the time commitment?
The program runs for over a three month period in Semester 2.
Discussions with mentors aim to assist students to:
1. Understand the business work environment
2. Make informed choices about university subjects to study
3. Maintain a balanced lifestyle between their academic, professional and social lives
4. Develop an awareness of organisational norms, standards and values
5. Identify some of the keys to successful entry to and progression through an organisation
6. Learn professional networking skills
7. Understand the landscape and opportunities available for global Science graduates
8. Preparing to make the most of their upcoming entrance to working life
Who are the mentors?
In 2016 the mentors were from numerous Government, NGO, private enterprise and start-up organisations! See a small selection below:
When can students apply to part of the program in 2017?
The Science Industry team is running the mentoring program again in 2017, after receiving such positive feedback from our pilot year. We’re looking for enthusiastic students to take part in the 2017 program, which runs in Semester 2.
If you would like to be a part of the 2017 U&I Mentoring Program and have the opportunity to meet up with and gain advice from a distinguished industry representative, you'll need to keep an eye out in the student newsletter, Wavelength, and this website as we approach May 2017.
During May we will be asking interested students to fill out a form expressing their interest to participate in Semester 2!